If you’re like most homeowners in Ann Arbor, you want your home to look its best. One of the quickest and easiest ways to give your home interior a facelift is to apply a fresh coat of paint or new paint color to the walls. There are timelines for painting different areas of the home. But with so many colors to choose from, it can be hard to decide which one is right for you.
You want to balance popular ones, the ones that best represent you, and the ones that aren’t just a quick fad for your interior home painting project.
To make things easier, we’ve compiled a list of the most popular interior paint colors for homes in Ann Arbor. Whether you’re looking for a subtle change or a complete transformation, one of these wall paint colors is sure to meet your needs.
Popular Interior Paint Colors For Homes In And Around Ann Arbor, Michigan
White paint is clean, fresh, and chic. It’s a perfect paint color for spaces that need a brightening up, and it goes with just about everything. If you’re looking for a classic color that will never go out of style, white is the way to go.
There are a few reasons why eggshell white has become such a popular choice among Ann Arbor homeowners when it comes to interior paint colors.
First of all, it’s a very versatile color that can be used in a variety of different styles. Whether you’re going for a modern look or a more traditional feel, eggshell white can be a great option.
It’s also a very forgiving color, meaning it won’t show dirt and stains as easily as some other darker colors. Finally, eggshell white can help make a space feel more open and airy, which is always a plus.
Recommended white colors with brands:
- White Dove OC-17 (Benjamin Moore)
- Chantilly Lace OC-65 (Benjamin Moore)
Gray Interior Paint Colors
Gray paint has been popular for years, and it shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon. It’s perfect for creating a calming atmosphere, and it pairs well with just about any other color. If you’re looking for a safe choice that will still make your home look updated, gray is a great option.
One of the great things about light gray is that it goes with just about any other color. Whether you’re keeping your existing furniture or starting from scratch, light gray will work with just about anything. Consider using some of these popular combinations:
- Light gray and white
- Light gray and navy blue
- Light gray and black
Another reason why light gray is becoming so popular among interior paint colors is that it has the ability to make your home look larger than it actually is. The lighter color will help reflect more light and make the space feel more open.
If your home gets a lot of natural light, light gray can be a great way to enhance that bright space. The lighter color will reflect the light, making the space look brighter and more open.
Recommended gray colors with brands:
- Repose Gray SW 7015 (Sherwin Williams)
- Coventry Gray HC-169 (Benjamin Moore)
- Ice Cube SW 6252 (Sherwin Williams)
Some people want gray, not a warm gray, but one with darker tones. Here’s why dark gray works great in a home color scheme:
- Dark gray is a versatile color that can be used in any room
- It’s perfect for creating a sleek and modern look
- Dark gray is also great among interior paint colors for hiding imperfections in walls or ceilings.
- Homeowners who have pets often choose dark gray as it does a great job of hiding pet hair (and the occasional stain)
- If you have small children, dark gray is also a good choice because it can help hide crayon marks and little fingerprints (here’s how to clean them off of a wall)
- Dark gray is an excellent choice for those who want to create a cozy and inviting space in their home
- This color is perfect for adding drama to any room, and it can really make your furnishings and decor stand out
Recommended dark gray colors with brands:
- Peppercorn SW 7674 (Sherwin Williams)
- Wrought Iron 2124-10 (Benjamin Moore)
Gray-blue is a paint color that can act as a neutral backdrop for your furniture and décor. That means you can change up your style without having to repaint your walls another of the popular interior paint colors every time.
Also, gray-blue walls can help create a feeling of calm and tranquility in your home. This is because it’s in both the blue and gray color family.
Another benefit of choosing gray-blue as your house interior paint color is that it matches well with most colors. Whether you’re drawn to sleek and modern furnishings or cozy and traditional pieces, gray-blue will complement your style.
Since it falls somewhere between light and dark on the color spectrum, it’s also versatile when it comes to lighting. Whether you prefer bright overhead lights or soft, indirect lighting, gray-blue can adapt.
Recommended gray-blue colors with brands:
- Providence Blue 1636 (Benjamin Moore)
- Distance SW 6243 (Sherwin Williams)
Blue Interior Paint Colors
Blue paint is a perfect wall color for creating a serene space. It’s also great for making small spaces feel bigger and brighter. If you want to add a pop of color without going too crazy, blue is the way to go.
Pale blue is often described as being serene and calming, making it a great choice for areas of the home where you want to relax and unwind.
This light shade also has the ability to make small spaces feel larger and brighter, so it’s a great option if you’re working with limited square footage.
When choosing pale blue paint as one of your interior paint colors, be sure to select a hue with cool undertones to avoid any hint of gray.
Recommended pale blue colors with brands:
- Atmospheric SW 6505 (Sherwin Williams)
- Morning Sky Blue 2053-7 (Benjamin Moore)
Dark blue is another excellent choice when it comes to interior house paint colors. This rich shade can add instant drama to any space, making it ideal for use in formal areas like dining rooms and living rooms. If you’re looking to make a statement, consider painting one wall dark blue and using lighter shades for the remaining walls in the room. You could also use it as an accent color by painting trim or molding in this hue.
You can also use this color for your kitchen cabinets. We’ve painted kitchen cabinets this color before, mostly the bottom ones, which are then paired with white upper cabinets.
Recommended dark blue colors with brands:
- Evening Dove 2128-30 (Benjamin Moore)
- Naval SW 6244 (Sherwin Williams)
Other Popular Interior Paint Colors For Homes
Brown paint is perfect for creating an earthy atmosphere. It’s also great for making rooms feel warm and cozy. This is due largely in part to the fact that brown is often used in nature-themed design schemes (think: log cabins and ski lodges). Browns also make great accent colors.
In addition to its cozy factor, brown is also neutral enough to work with a variety of different design styles. Whether your taste leans more traditional or contemporary, there’s a shade of brown that will complement your existing furniture and decor.
Plus, since brown isn’t as common as white or gray when it comes to interior paint colors, painting your walls this color will help your home stand out from the rest on your block.
Some of the most popular shades of brown include light brown, dark brown, coffee brown, and chocolate brown. These shades can range from being very light in color to almost black.
Recommended brown colors with brands:
- Urbane Bronze SW 7048 (Sherwin Williams color of the year 2021)
- French Press AF-170 (Benjamin Moore)
Taupe began trending among the popular interior paint colors in the design world several years ago. Since then, it has become one of the most popular paint colors for both home exteriors and interiors. Homeowners in Ann Arbor are no exception; many have begun painting their homes taupe to give them a modern, updated look.
Taupe is a light brown color with gray undertones. It’s commonly referred to as a “neutral” color because it can be used as both an accent color and a base color in home design.
Taupe is also a versatile color because it works well with both warm and cool colors. For example, taupe walls can pair nicely with white trim or yellow accents.
Recommended taupe colors with brands:
- Taos Taupe 2111-40 (Benjamin Moore)
- Poised Taupe SW 6039 (Sherwin Williams color of the year 2017)
Interior Paint Color Combinations
Each of these colors pairs beautifully to help you create an incredible color scheme for your home interior.
White And Gray
This clean and classic combination of interior paint colors has been popular for years, and it’s easy to see why. Grey is a versatile color that can be used to create a variety of different looks, from sleek and modern to warm and inviting. Pairing it with white gives your home a bright and airy feel that makes it seem more spacious.
Recommended white and gray colors with brands:
- Extra White SW7006 (Sherwin Williams) and Agreeable Gray SW 7029 (Sherwin Williams)
- Chantilly Lace OC-65 (Benjamin Moore) and Gray Cloud 2126-60 (Benjamin Moore)
Beige And White
This combo is perfect if you’re looking for a welcoming and inviting space. Beige is a warm neutral color that will make your guests feel at ease, while white will keep things feeling light and bright.
Recommended beige and white colors with brands:
- Manchester Tan HC-81 (Benjamin Moore) and White Ice 2139-70 (Benjamin Moore)
- Accessible Beige SW 7036 (Sherwin Williams) and White Dove OC-17 (Benjamin Moore)
Blue And White
This classic nautical combination of interior paint colors is perfect for homes by the water or anyone who loves the beach. The calming nature of blue will help create a serene atmosphere in your home, while white will keep things feeling fresh and clean.
Recommended blue and white colors with brands:
- Naval SW 6244 Sherwin Williams & Extra White SW 7006 Sherwin Williams
Green And White
Want to bring the outdoors inside? This refreshed take on the classic blue and white combo does just that. A light green (think sage or mint) paired with white creates a serene and inviting space. This is perfect for kitchens and bathrooms.
Recommended green and white colors with brands:
- Evergreen Fog SW9130 (Sherwin Williams color of the year 2022) & Ethereal White SW 6182 (Sherwin Williams)
- October Mist 1495 (Benjamin Moore color of the year 2022) & Glacier White OC-37 (Benjamin Moore)
Neutral Palette With Black Accents
If you’re someone who likes to keep things simple, this may be the perfect scheme for you. Neutrals like taupe, cream, and beige are always in style, and black accents help to ground the space and add visual interest.
Recommended neutral and black colors with brands:
- Alabaster SW 7008 (Sherwin Williams 2016 Color of the year)
- Repose Gray SW 7015 (Sherwin Williams)
- Light French Gray SW 0055 (Sherwin Williams)
- Accessible Beige SW 7036 (Sherwin Williams)
- Tricorn Black SW 6258 (Sherwin Williams)
- White Dove OC-17 (Benjamin Moore)
- Edgecomb Gray HC-173 (Benjamin Moore)
- Stonington Gray HC-170 (Benjamin Moore)
- Manchester Tan HC-81 (Benjamin Moore)
- Wrought Iron 2124-10 (Benjamin Moore)
*Find the answer to the whole Benjamin Moore vs Sherwin Williams debate
Create Your Ideal Ann Arbor Home With Tribble Painting
Are you looking for a fresh color scheme for your home interior? If you are considering painting your home’s interior, these interior paint colors have been popular with people in Ann Arbor. Hopefully, they may give you some good ideas.
Just fill out our contact form today, and one of our experts will be happy to help you with your home interior painting project. We can’t wait to talk with you!