How to fix peeling paint on ceilings is a question people ask that we can readily answer. You can read about how to do it in 4 steps. There is also information on what causes it and how you can help prevent it.
First, put on your goggles and a dust mask. Paint and lungs don’t mix well.
- Scrape off peeling paint on the ceiling with a putty knife. Use 150-grit or higher sandpaper. Clean off any dust.
- Patch the peeling area with a thin layer of patching compound and putty knife. Let dry. Apply a second coat. Sand and clean the ceiling.
- Prime the area with an oil-based primer. Let dry.
- Paint with a flat acrylic paint.
Sanding allows your patching compound, primer, and paint to bond more tightly. This reduces the chances of it peeling again.
Patching levels the surface for a better-looking paint job. Areas with thicker paint tend to stick out.
When priming be sure to have any fans on and windows open (it will have a strong smell).
We can paint your interior if you don’t have the time >>
Why Your Paint Is Peeling
One main cause of why you see peeling paint on your ceiling could be improper painting preparation.
If the surface isn’t clean or doesn’t have proper priming the paint can peel much faster. This happens mostly due to moisture. Moisture gets between the paint and the wall, causing it to peel.
The brand of paint may not be high enough quality. Ceilings in high moisture areas need a paint that sticks better and is flexible. This way it can expand and contract with the heat and moisture.
One last reason ceiling paint peels could be not enough drying time. This can cause severe cracking, or “alligatoring”.
3 Ways To Help Prevent Peeling Ceiling Paint
- Use high-quality paint (bathroom/kitchen specific for those areas)
- Allow enough drying time between coats
- Ventilate the room with open windows, fans, and/or vents
Now You Know How To Fix Peeling Paint On Ceilings
No more will you look up and see a peeling disaster. Your ceilings can look just as good as the walls holding them up. You can once again live in your Novi home without worrying about how it looks (because it will look fantastic).